Thursday, July 13, 2006

So, what now?

Today was a bit weird, naturally. I slept in late because I`d been so exhausted from the day before. After much coffee and pondering, me and Donna went to Bic Camera to see if we could get internet for our flat. I`d been told we couldn`t get anything better than dial-up (and I`d rather use internet cafes than go back to that), but Donna is more persistent than me and found out we could sign up for wireless. We got to Bic Camera, found a helpful sales assistant, and went about setting up an account. In Japanese. It was pretty tricky, I have to say. Donna had her Lonely Planet phrasebook (about as useful as an extremely uselss thing) and looked up things for me to say, and the sales assistant had a translator in his computer which gave helpful phrases like, "Please admit to the businessman when he is commence operational," which we decided loosely meant, "please be at home when the delivery guy comes." Now I understand where all those meaningless t-shirt slogans come from. So with the two dictionaries, my bad questions (taske no eigo no denwa bango imas ka? something along the lines of, do you have a english help phone number? with hideous grammatical errors) we managed to get sorted. Normal service should begin next week.
After that we went to Don Quixote, the weirdest shop in the world, which is right behind my house and I never knew was there. I bought The Girl with the Pearl Earring, The Maltese Falcon and To Kill a Mockingbird on DVD for 950 yen, or about 4.50 in real money. Then we spent a fascinating hour upstairs amongst the furniture, home appliances, games, toys, clothes, makeup, fancydress costumes, rice-crispie coated crabs, and sex toys. The crabs and the sex toys weren`t together, I hasten to add. Some photos from the shop will go up tomorrow if I can figure out how to get them off my phone. Night night.

No comments: