Thursday, July 27, 2006

Nomihodai

Today is gorgeous, it`s hot and sunny but with a nice breeze. I bought some CD`s today and made the perfect banana smoothie. I love the simple pleasures in life. It`s been nice to chill out this afternoon by myself since I`ve had a hectic weekend. Tuesday after work I went to Mango for a post-work beer with Pip, Donna, Ben and Shannon (the two guys who live down the road from us). After the Mango man closed the bar (he likes to go to bed early) I didn`t want to go to bed so we all went back to our flat and made pasta then sat around drinking tequila and playing poker until 1.30. Shannon had work at 10. Good effort, that man.
So because of the beer and the tequila, I didn`t go to my Japanese class. Naughty. Instead I met Yukie for lunch (who I haven`t seen for ages) and produced some dreadful Japanese. I can`t do Japanese with a hangover. Later in the afternoon I cycled into town and met Jo. We went to the cinema and were pleased to find that it`s only 1000 yen for women on a Wednesday. An odd discount, but who am I to argue. Pirates of the Carribean is a weird film. It seems that instead of coming up with a plot they went "here, have some implausible special effects and quite bizzare fight sequences and lots of shots of Johnny Depp looking sexy and rakish. Did we mention the Johnny Depp thing?"
We headed to Sakae and Red Rock for their infamous Nomihodai night - 1700 yen for all you can drink. Naturally the place was packed. It was great; cheap booze and I felt like I knew everyone in the bar. Finally it feels like I`ve got something like a community here. I got introduced to lots of other people too, and after talking for two minutes we`d find some other connection through other people we knew. After they chucked us out there we got kebabs then weaved home unsteadily on our bikes. Great night.

No comments: