Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Supersize me

I found some great restaurants this week - or rather, my Japanese friends found these great restaurants and took me there in a bid to wean me off my diet of Doutor sandwiches and Ministop salads. Last Thursday I went to the Orchid Garden with my flatmate Donna, Takako, and 3 of her friends - Yoko, Noriko and Keiko. In the daytime the orchid house is open to the public, and in the evening the patio-style restaurant comes alive. It's set in a beautiful garden complete with a lawn and a pond, and is the largest enclosed outdoor space I've seen in Japan so far. The atmosphere was relaxed and the food was inexpensive and tasty. I would give it 7 out of 10 and recommend it to my friends.
The nicest thing about the evening was hanging out with cool locals. I got on well with Noriko, who spent last year studying in Germany. She was very patient with my high school German (which is an awful lot better than my Japanese, even though I haven't used it much since school) and didn't seem to mind me speaking in pidgin German/Japanese/English to her.
On Sunday night I finally went for dinner with Yoko. I met this Yoko at Dan's leaving party about 3 months ago, and she took me to an organic buffet restaurant in Yaba Cho. All you can eat for 1800 yen. Mmm. And for 1800 yen, I can eat a lot.
I felt very virtous eating all my organic healthy food, then went home and watched Supersize Me. Part of me was disgusted and horrified, and part of me really wanted a cheeseburger.

No comments: