Monday, April 02, 2007

Tuesday, 27th March.

Coco Ichiban! Hooray!


Shanghai.
Looks like: we're about 2 seconds away from a car crash.
Sounds like: still spitting.
Smells like: dumplings.
Tastes like: hot cakes filled with red bean paste, topped with burnt sugar and sesame seeds.
Feels like: I wish there was someone on this train who spoke English.

I got up early and left Nicky's apartment with just a slight aftertaste of absinthe from the night before. I walked to Fangbang road, walking through some of the surviving old streets. Most of them are being demolished to make way for shiny new apartment buildings. To be fair, I can see why. A lot of the old buildings are rotting, roofs have fallen in, and there will be one ground floor room (a shop) being used out of the whole building. It's odd to walk through winding, smelly streets, cross the road, and find yourself in a gleaming apartment complex. I wonder what they make of their neighbours.
Later I caught the train to Xi'an and wandered around hopefully looking for someone to talk to. No luck. Lots of people gave me funny looks, but I seemed to be the only hapless tourist on the train.

No comments: