Monday, April 03, 2006

I made it here in one piece

I`ve been in Japan for 6 days now, and I still can't quite believe I live here. The flight was long and boring, with the traditional delay of the first flight to ensure I could participate in my connecting flight sprint. If I had a quid for every time that happened, I would have a fiver. The man sitting next to me had horrible breath and a nasty cold. He coughed on me a lot. I thought bad things towards him and toyed with slipping a toothbrush into his bag.
Iain met me at the airport, it was so good to see him. I did briefly panic when I was on the plane - what if I don`t like him anymore? Luckily this wasn`t a problem. Mmm, still cute. We went back to Inuyama to dump all my stuff, collected Jon (Iain`s friend who I haven`t seen for years) and went back to Nagoya. Nova had been quite insistent that I collect my keys as soon as I arrive because it wouldn`t do to be staying in a boy`s flat. Goodness me, no. I phoned the personnel office to confirm when I would be coming in, and they hadn`t sent my keys to Nagoya.
"When can I get my keys?"
"They should be there tomorrow. Sorry about that. Have you got anywhere to stay?"
"I`m staying with a friend."
"Oh right, that`s fine."
Ok then.
We wandered about for a bit and met Thom and had a few beers in Red Rock (I think I`ll be spending a lot of time in there) and headed home early.

On Wednesday I woke up tired from fighting over half a single futon. I`d been wide awake most of the night because it still felt like the afternoon. I hate time differences. We ambled back into Nagoya and dropped off Jon at the station, and I got my keys and information. Still no offical word on where I work, but the guy I spoke to at Lejac thought I was at Takabata. We wandered off to Kanayama and looked around for my flat. The map wasn`t very helpful but we got there in the end. No flatmates were in, so I had a good nose around. Three bedrooms, big kitchen and cozy livingroom. I was delighted to find a cafetiere in the kitchen. Japanese instant coffee tastes like acorns.
We met up with some more of Iain`s friends, Francis, Thom and Jen, and went to the port and the weird fake Italian bit where they do good pizza. They also have gondolas but we resisted. Everyone else got delicious icecream, but Francis mangaged to get the one that tasted of salt. We all tried it and made faces.
In the evening me and Iain went back to Inuyama. I went to the pub with Darius, Iain`s Kiwi flatmate, so not to scare Iain`s timid student who refuses to talk in front of other people. Came back a couple of hours later and discovered the joys of playing MarioKart on the inherited Nintendo. Iain kicked my arse.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Glad to hear you made in over there with the usual fi-aplomb. Just be glad you weren't travelling with me again or we would have had to run for the flight and lost our bags.

And I'm really not surprised it took you till Friday to email and today to blog... good luck with that single futon, make sure he knows who's boss.