Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Strategic Leadership

My longsuffering brother has been trying to teach me how to play poker.
"I have... a pair of flushes."
"No you don't."
"Ok. And remind me, which is higher: flush or straight?"
"Flush."
"Right."
We are playing for pasta shells and this is the most I've handled raw pasta since primary 2. I'm fighting the urge to drown it in PVC glue and stick it to a smeary finger painting.
It might also be worth noting that this is now the fifth time my brother has tried to teach me poker. I think it's going the way of cryptic crosswords and bridge, joining my personal Room 101 list of Things I've Spent Hours Trying to Understand But Leave Me With The Feeling I Will Never Get Back The Wasted Time.
My luck improves when we switch to Texas Hold 'Em. I win the hand with 2 pairs and an ace. I rattle the pasta shells across the table. This isn't a bad way to unwind after a day of chronic beaurocracy.

It has been decreed from On High that our department is no longer City Development. We are now Strategic Leadership. This means at the top people can be promoted without having to demote anyone else (because that looks untidy and we want everyone to play nicely). When in doubt, call in the consultants and create a new department. This looks fine on paper but we quickly realise when we start answering the phones that this is a title no-one's bothered to say aloud up to this point.
"Good morning, stateege- strategiclip - city development." We can't answer the phone without laughing, and we can't say 'strategic leadership' without sounding like we've had several tequilas.
Of course, this begs the question of what strategic leadership actually means or does. Leads strategically? How? With a chessboard, sat nav or a piece of string? And if we only have strategic leadership now, this implies that earlier leadership was perhaps lacking strategy (like the Scotland football team). Did we have crap leadership, or barely adequate leadership? Wandering around in circles leadership or watching the clouds leadership?
Questions, questions. Thankfully I don't have to deal with them because I only have two more days of work and I think I can avoid answering the phone until then.

No comments: