Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Feeling Peaky

I work as a temp for a council planning department. Mostly I file, update mail, and process planning applications. At the moment I want to bury myself in finnicky tasks to make time go and money come faster. I want to get to Japan, start my new job, see my boyfriend and do exciting things instead of counting the minutes until lunchtime. Everything is filed and I stand with my forehead against the window and watch people walking nine stories below. A plane bisects the glass and sky and, for the first time since I came back from Thailand in November, I want to be on it. January blues settle like a toad below my ribs.
I sustain three irritating injuries before noon: a splinter, a bleeding gouge from a file refusing to be filed, and an interesting barcode effect in one elbow after the stack of folders I was carrying slipped and sliced me as they fell. This is the point when I decide today is January Blues Day. Pass me my harmonica.
Melancholy is like crying. It does you good to indulge now and again. I wallow in self-pity and count the awful things that stack against me. My boyfriend is in Japan, so I curse the gods for our not getting together when we were at the same university. I suspect the gods had little to do with our choices of boy/girlfriends and the lucky timing that meant we were never both single, but that would be missing the point of January Blues Day. Mostly I just miss BF and wish I could talk to him now instead of doing crappy non-work.
I have no money. I loved the holidays when I had them and would have fought scrappily with anyone who tried to take away one day of my Christmas holiday, but in the cold light of January all I can see is skinny paychecks and the staggering cost of going to Japan. Eek. And that's before we even get into the duvet-clutching nightmare of student debt that will haunt me until I am a hundred and twenty-four. It's January Blues Day, so I allow myself a long-suffering sigh. Aaaah. God, that's good.
It's nine-thirty now, January Blues Day is nearly over. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow. That's something to smile about.

No comments: